Wood’n’Hive Sticky Buns
Prep time : 40 mins
Total time : 3 hrs ,
Yeild: Serves 12.
1 1/4 cups buttermilk, room temperature
1/4 cup Wood’n’Hive liquid honey
2 1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
1/2 tsp salt
4 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup Wood’n’Hive creamed honey
2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp buttermilk
1/3 cup Wood’n’Hive creamed honey, softened
1/3 cup icing sugar
How to make it
1) Combine 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, 1/4 cup honey, yeast and salt in a bowl
2) Combine flour, eggs and the buttermilk mixture with a wooden spoon or stand mixer (using the dough hook) until the dough starts to form.
3) Add the 1/2 cup of butter and knead the dough for about 5 minutes by hand or with the stand mixer. The dough will be slightly sticky and soft. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl. Cover the bowl with a slightly damp cloth and let the dough rise in a warm, humid place for about 1 hour.
4) To make the filling, combine the 1/2 cup of creamed honey, 2 tbsp of butter and cinnamon in a bowl
5) On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a 20 x 14 inch (50 x 35 cm) rectangle. Spread the filling over the whole surface of the dough. Roll the dough tightly to create a 20-inch long log. Cut the log into about 12 slices.
6) Arrange the slices in a greased 13 x 9 inch (33 x 23 cm) glass baking pan, spacing the slices evenly. Cover the pan with a slightly damp cloth and let the buns rise in a warm place for 1.5 hours.
7) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle position
8) Brush the buns with the buttermilk. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
9) To make the glaze, whisk together 1/3 cup honey and 1/3 cup icing sugar in a bowl. When ready to serve, glaze the buns.